woensdag 21 juli 2010

Three times' right

I’ve been sewing some T-shirts, lately, but they didn’t work out.
I tried to make a button-placket in a sleeveless one, but the directions in the Ottobre were too sparse, and I don't have sewinglessons at the moment. It didn’t work out.


It's hard to see on the photo, but the stripes of fabric are crooked and I had to make them longer, to make ends meet (I found out later).
I will try again, because I want to master the technique. I subscribe to a Dutch instruction-site on the web, where they have video-instructions, and that was very clear. The only thing is, that they combine the placket with a collar, and I don’t want to do that. A polo-shirt is to formal for my taste. So I still have to figure out how to make a neat finish where the placket and neckline meet. And of course I can always ask my sewing teacher, in September.

Laying the yellow one aside, I started making another sleeveless T, to combine with the short I made earlier. Wrong again. The neckline is way to wide.



And it needs another touch to it. Don’t know what, but I will cut things up and make something different. Or maybe add a hood.

So onto T-shirt # 3. There’s a Dutch saying, that three times' right. Used the basic pattern from Ottobre again, had to recut the neckline (unpicked that one twice) but now have a good fit I can use for one year, I hope.



Than the fun part began, because I had this green scrap of cotton from my mum, who quilts. A perfect match. Because of the colour, I thought a marsian would look nice. So I did some sketches, based on images from the web, and this little monster came out. I used buttons for eyes, as I had seen on Flickr. A few scraps of felt to finish it of, and I think this is becoming one of my favorites.



Onto the next project. A familiar one. The sailor-pant I made twice before. No need to try things out (refreshing sigh).

3 opmerkingen:

  1. In English the same expression is usually said, "Third time's the charm." Number three really is gorgeous, but I like number two as well. Perhaps if you save it for colder weather and layer it over a long-sleeved t-shirt or turtle-neck shirt to bring some bright cheer on a gloomy day? And best of luck with the t-shirt placket! I haven't attempted that yet myself, but I'm sure if you persevere you'll figure it out!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I haven't mastered the placket, either. I just can't bend my mind around how it works. Someday, I hope!

    I love the monster shirt, and I think the sleeveless top is just fine. The use of colors is fun and it goes well with the shorts.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. As always, I love your use of bright colors. It's not so common here for boys to have brightly colored clothing and I wish that weren't so. I think a hood for the sleeveless shirt would be a great addition to it, especially if you used the blue color on the edge. And for the front, maybe an appliqué of some kind? I see fish on the shorts so maybe a fish in orange or yellow? The monster shirt is really cute - especially the eyes. I will have to remember this idea when I'm wondering how to liven up things I make for my son.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen