maandag 19 juli 2010

A change in perspective


The core of the son-rise philosophy is to embrace and love your child. Unconditionally. And it immediately spoke to me because I loved this vision. No labels. No judgments. It gives you such freedom. And I have to make clear that I’m no expert. I don’t know all the ins and outs of the method. Because I haven’t followed any courses, yet. In September, I will, but I just don’t want to wait playing and applying the principles.
So how can I embrace Pelle being hyperactive? I really liked what Jen suggested in her comment. Using the high-energy into a game of running.
Thinking it through, and writing about it with Maria, who’s becoming my sparing-partner in the son-rise process, I switched glasses. Because for Pelle, it’s a pure form of enjoying life. It’s all about excitement. And that’s a part in me that I don’t show very often. As a child, I was always rewarded for being calm. For not asking to much attention. For being quiet, especially if grown-ups were in the room. And of course, as an adult, you’re supposed to behave in a mature way. But I can feel excitement, and joy, and I can sing and mostly, when I’m really happy, I want to move. Be on the bike and sing. Pedaling as hard as I can. Letting this happiness flow through my body and express it. Dance.
And if I look through my happiness glasses, I see a boy who’s just doing that. Expressing it all. And from now on, I’m joining him. So we can share all those vibrations.

1 opmerking:

  1. It's always good to consider other views and then figure out what will work and what won't. I'm glad that what I said helped you to figure out what direction you want to go in. And honestly, keeping the fun energy of childhood is really the best.

    I know I said my 3 year-old is high energy and in the grand scheme of things, I really do love that she is this way. She has so much enthusiasm for everything. Tonight, for example, she was so excited that she'd undone her pony tail by herself before climbing into the shower that she came running to show me. Except she was completely naked and I was outside getting some packages from the car. I looked up to see her running and jumping and saying "Look Mommy, I did it all by myself!" So much enthusiasm she couldn't stand still. And I was so happy to see how proud she was that it took a moment to realize she had no clothes on!

    The running games I have her do when I am feeling worn out and unable to keep up with her. I do it so that she will get the energy out but also so that I can receive some of it from her, if you will. I love to watch her run and be happy . Doing this when I'm tired can help me feel recharged, especially if I've had a long day. Or if I'm still tired from lack of sleep, it allows her to be loud and free without me getting frustrated that she won't be still for a moment.

    So, I understand a little bit where you find yourself and I think it's wonderful that you recognize that this joy of childhood is so important because (at least in the US) it seems to get taken out of their lives so quickly when they start school. Sharing this with him should be a wonderful experience for you both.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen