woensdag 8 april 2009

If it doesn't come naturally ...

When Pelle became 2, he started at the 'peuterschool', the playgroup for toddlers. And he made some wonderful things there. I have them displayed on one of the doors in our hallway. I think his teacher is very creative and allways comes up with nice ideas.
There's just one difficulty: Pelle DOES NOT WANT TO DO ANYTHING CREATIVE WHATSOEVER. No painting, cutting, drawing, playing with clay. So the things you see on the picture are for the most part made with the aid of the teacher or assistant.





I have to admit that this is not what I dreamed of. In my ideal world, the two of us are sitting behind the table and making all kinds of nice artwork. That has not happened yet. So far, I don't even know if Pelle is left- or righthanded, because he barly holds a pencil or brush.
And it also confronts me with a dillema. Should I wait patiently and jump to the occaision when Pelle shows any signs of being interested, or should I take more initative myself and set aside a fixed creative time each day, to spark a dormant area?
Can I stimulate him? And if so, how? Or should I stick to the adagium: If it doensn't come naturally leave it?
I think this will be a recurring theme all through his childhood. I hope I will find a good modus for it.
So I stay expirimenting. This is a bus I draw on his request.

Oh boy, no people behind the windows, only puppets ("poppetjes"). I guess I have to practise my skills, too.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. My son was also not at all interested in anything creative, or so I thought. but around maybe 4 he started drawing all of a sudden, not a lot, but sometimes he draws. He likes drawing with a black pen and his lines are very expressive and strong. He also likes drawing on the magnetic board. no flowers and butterflies, but missiles, animals with lots of teeth, strange figures. I love his drawings. Also, I make myself look where else he is creative. Try to see where your son is creative, and remember he is himself and not a projection of your mind. (sorry, does that sound like preaching? it's not meant like that, I think most parents tend to do that, surely I do).
    For example, my son plays very inventive games with any toy he has. he hardly ever uses toys in the way they were "meant". It used to drive me crazy because when he was younger it lead to many broken toys...but I realize it's a very creative process, he invents all the time. He loves the computer, we introduced that to him when he turned 5, he draws and plays on it. He goes to a waldorf kindergarten and I still have that image of the magical antroposophic child, but I'm trying to see him for what he is, a very creative person who doesn't like to do paper-paint-glue stuff that the other kids do.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. hey Ria,
    maybe we should decide where we comment to each other... it's a broken conversation. I continue here anyway. I thought about another thing that I do: I try to offer as many possibilities for crafting as possible. it's like with the vegetables: although they don't always eat them' I keep on putting some fresh vegetables on the table at almost each meal, and then sometimes they do eat. I saw that my son doesn't like painting but he does like drawing with pens, so I make sure that there are always pens available. He likes cutting, I bought scissors that make zigzag and wave shapes and colored papers for cutting and folding. Sometimes I buy glittering glue tubes or other silly things - they are so cheap and they give them at least 15 minutes of pleasure.
    And if you mentioned Soule Mama - I took from her the idea of arranging a crafting project at night that awaits them in the morning, a nice surprise for them. We need to be a bit creative to help them finding joy in creativity!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen